Have a Retreat and Spa Day at Home!
Have you ever dreamed of taking a day for yourself to rest and reflect without any responsibility? This article offers some helpful tips for a successful retreat/spa day at home that’s free and energizing.
First, it is important to plan this day in advance so mark your calendar! If you have children, ask your spouse, or a friend/family member to take care of them. Tell your friends that you will be out of reach for the entire day.
Prepare for this day:
– Clean up your home, organize, get rid of the useless.
– Prepare a ‘zen’ space, on a small piece of furniture or on the ground: candles, mandala, statues or photos of people who inspire you, incense, essential oils, meditation cushion, yoga mat…
– Create an inspiring music playlist.
The evening before:
– Turn off your phone, put away your tablet and computer, turn off your home Wi-Fi signal.
– Prepare your zen space and inspirational readings (magazines, inspirational biography, healing book or personal development, coloring, pencils, sheets of paper).
– Go to bed before 10pm for a good night’s sleep.
– Try to get up before 9am.
– Before starting your day: make a mental list of 3 things for which you are grateful (health, family, etc.) and set an intention for this day which is yours completely.
– Make sure to remain silent for the day or at least a few hours.
– Take the time to do some stretching, joint movements, yoga, meditation…
– Prepare a breakfast and practice mindful eating for all your meals. Cook in silence: be aware of flavors, colors, chew consciously and take the time to rediscover your meals as if you were tasting them for the first time.
– Fill an insulated bottle with herbal tea and enjoy it throughout the day.
– Make a list of things you would like to accomplish in the next year and picture where you see yourself in 5 years. Try to establish what steps you have to take to get there.
– Have a yoga, meditation or creativity session (collage, spontaneous drawing, mandala, etc.) with relaxing music or in silence, related to the intentions you have set earlier.
– Go for a walk in a park and reconnect with nature. Become aware of your 5 senses and feed them. Nature is your best ally to recharge your batteries.
– Prepare a meal (kitchari type) for lunch and eat consciously again (Recipe here).
– After your meal, lie down on your left side for 20 minutes to digest.
– Practice a guided session of yoga nidra, a deep and powerful relaxation. (Example)
– Do something you never have time to do (which involves staying alone): singing, dancing, playing music, writing a letter to someone, forgiving …
– Get ready for a spa session: facial, bath, manicure or pedicure, hair care …
– Again take the time to reflect and write down the effects of this day. Have your needs been met, are your senses regenerated?
– Schedule your next retreat/spa day right away! Choose a date and write down new ideas!